Monday, February 9, 2009

Crazy on Parade


Well, we knew it was only a matter of time before the octuplet mom began making her rounds in the media to defend her craziness. And crazy she is. When questioned how she will be able to financially support herself and 14 children, she says that she will be able to support them once she is finished school (she is pursuing a masters in counseling). Okay, so question number 1: how is she going to be able to attend classes, write papers, do all the reading, research and the rest of the grueling work that is required to obtain a graduate degree when she has 14 children to take care of?

And let's see here - a masters level therapist...how much money do you think she will earn per year once she gets a job? $50,000 maybe? Yes, I am sure that will be enough to support a family of 15, especially with the likelihood of developmental and learning disabilities in many of the children.

When questioned about how she will take care of all these children, she said she will be able to get by with the help of her family, friends and the church. Well, if I remember correctly, her dad spends much of his time working in the Middle East, and her mother, apparently so disgusted with the whole situation, reported early when this story broke that she told Nadya she would "not be there" when Nadya brought the babies home. So the parents are out as a source for help. So that leaves other family members, friends and the church. How nice to dump all this responsibility on others simply because she had a selfish desire to have way more babies than she can possibly care for.

And here's the best part of all. In the interview she confirms that the same doctor handled all of her IVF procedures! More on that to come...

5 comments:

firefly said...

I didn't watch the video but I read the article associated with it.

If that woman isn't batshit crazy, I'm the Queen of England.

And I quote: “Everything I do, I'll stop my life for them and be present with them. And hold them. And be with them. And how many parents do that? ..."

Well, let's start with this:

She "holds each infant for 45 minutes a day" .... uhhh ... lessee, 8 x 45 = 360 minutes / 60 minutes = SIX HOURS just holding the newest babies.

Assuming this is true (and that she's not cheating by wearing an eight-slotted baby holster), where does the time to "stop my life" for the previous 6 come in? If they are all under the age of 7, she must have gotten pregnant pretty much the minute she gave birth -- which means ages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, none of whom can take care of themselves without help.

If she were really devoting that much attention to each child, if she were developing the longed-for "connections" and "attachments" she missed in childhood, she wouldn't have time to want more.

What I liked about the article was the psychiatrists' take on it. They pretty much came out and said CRAZY:

“When you don’t have a connection in childhood, you go see a therapist,” she added. “You don’t have 14 babies.”

Childfreeeee said...

Well, if we really face the facts, this woman is going to be a millionaire with all the book deals, movie-of-the-week, magazine articles coming her way. If she is smart and gets a good manager, she will be set for life. It's really a sad statement about our society's insatiable hunger for a freak show.

Childfreeeee said...

Firefly,

I thought the same thing when I heard her statement about how "present" she will be with her children. How the hell can you be truly present with each individual child when there are only 24 hours in a day (many hours of which the children are asleep) and you have 13 other children clamoring for your attention at any given moment?

Talk about delusional.

fbritt said...

I watched this through clenched fist and a tight jaw. As a woman, a clinical social worker, a high school counselor who has worked with at risk teens for about 10 years, and as a HUMAN BEING . . . this woman ENRAGES me. All of her answers were empty platitudes. I'll provide for my kids. I'll make it work. I'll be there for them. In reference to the fact that at least one of her 14 is autistic: It's just another challenge that you have to face. This woman is extremely unstable and delusional. I feel so sad for her children.

Ozjeppe said...

I'd say she also shows signs of a condition that I've coined (after watching a great British TV report): "Childaholic". I've worked with D&A addicts in my days, and the signs are so frighteningly similar to being addicted to a drug:
*Their whole existence revolves around kids and being a full-time parent their whole life.
*They have an isatiable craving to have more, oblivious to the increasingly disastrous consequences of that obsession. Scary it is!