Thursday, February 19, 2009

Childfree Celebrity Spotlight - Helen Mirren

As a new feature of this blog, I would like to take a moment to shine a spotlight on those rare celebrities who are vocally childfree. I hope to feature a new celebrity about once a month.

Our first Celebrity Spotlight is on Helen Mirren whose is not only an outstanding actress (did you see "The Queen"?), but at the age of 63 can still rock a bikini like nobody's business (I am inclined to believe that a life of childfreedom has something to do with her youthful physique).

The British actress told the UK's Radio Times: "I didn't have that desire to be a mother, and don't think an awful lot of women do...I'm very proud of being childless. It's my contribution to world ecology."

In a 60 Minutes interview, when asked if she regretted not having children, Mirren replied "No. Absolutely not. Absolutely not. I am so happy that I didn’t have children. Well, you know because I’ve had freedom. And I’ve so loved my freedom."

""... I never wanted children. I don't know why, I've never been shrunk so I've never gone into it. I was never drawn to babies. The only dolls I played with as a child were grown up dolls. I would have loved a Barbie if they'd been around when I was a little girl. And my skin still crawls when I see a little girl hauling around a big baby doll. You see this little five-year-olds with huge, great, monstrous, disgusting baby dolls. I want to go up and rip them out of their hands...."

In this clip from an interview Mirren did with Andrew Denton, she explains that she has always found the process of childbirth disgusting and relays an experience in school concerning sex education on childbirth which she says traumatized her for life. Her discussion on this starts at the 5:50 mark.




More about Helen Mirren

Want to see what other celebrities are childfree by choice? Check out my list and be sure to let me know if you learn of others so I can be sure to add them!

2 comments:

SwissBarb said...

I absolutely love Helen Mirren! This makes me want to read her book.
I'm curious to see who the other CF celebs will be :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a figur! Amazing...
I totally understand her traumatising. Isn't it great how women get to hear horrifiying birthstories/ watch horrifying birthfilms with women sceaming and at the same time you are expected to have as many kids as possible? Is that societys way of encouraging us? I think it really is a miracle that any babys are born despite the horror propaganda... I don't think I would ever dare, and certainly not in a hospital where giving birth can result in even worse things than dying (also something few dare to talk about...)
I don't know if the horror of giving birth makes me childless or childfree but I'm just not going to do it (having kids that is).