Saturday, December 22, 2007

Holiday Greetings!


Well, it's that festive time of year when our mailbox is overflowing with colorful holiday greetings from our family and friends. After a long day of work it's really fun to have holiday greetings to open. I love to rifle through all the colorful envelopes to see who they are from.

Some of the cards are photo cards - those personalized cards that contain a family photo with some printed message on it. Here's a peculiar thing, though. Usually the photos are of the kids only. The adults are mysteriously missing.

This always makes me wonder. Where are the grown-ups? Why aren't they in the photo? I've given this some serious thought and although I am not 100% certain of the reason they are missing, here are some of my guesses:

1. Since having kids, they have put on a lot of weight and have otherwise become haggard-looking. We all know this happens to most parents, so it would be understandable that they don't want their bloated, bags-under-the-eyes mugs memorialized for eternity on a holiday card.

2. They don't want to be seen with their kids. (Knowing some of these kids personally, I can't say I blame them).

3. They'd love to be in the photo but that would mean they'd have to get cleaned up, dressed nicely and (for the ladies) put on some makeup and jewelry. We all know parents don't have time for this kind of stuff.

4. They know better than anyone (since they bought into the racket) that our child-centered culture doesn't give 2 hoots about anyone over the age of 18, so why bother being in the photo?

So what's YOUR guess? Please vote on my poll (look to the right).

4 comments:

CFVixen said...

Great post, Sassy! We have received so many of those kinds of cards this year. What's funny is that even though they are personalized in that they have a picture of the kids, there's nothing really personal about them. Nobody signs them, writes a personal message, etc. I find them really pretty "cold." I'm also astounded sometimes that the picture they use is the best they could come up with! LOL!

P.S. BTW, maybe it's just me, but I couldn't get your poll to work.

Vagablonde Bombchelle said...

I'm actually guilty of this act with my dogs who have been front and center on my Christmas cards since Luna's First Christmas in 2004. This past year, however, after many complaints that people had forgotten what I looked like I included a family photo complete with husband and both dogs.

Did people feel comfortable telling me that they missed my smiling face because my cards were dogs and not children? So I started telling people that I wanted to see photos of them and their kids as well so we'll see if I get more of those in 2008.

Just a note, our plan this year is to include our photos with our names and ages in the captions like people do with their children. Chelle (33), The Husband (33), Luna (4) and Solei (3)... you know, just in case people want to know how old me and my dogs are.

CFVixen said...

Bombchelle:

LOL....I like your thinking! If we're supposed to care about their kids' ages, don't they care about ours and our pets?

Me said...

I'm 10 months late but I vote # 1!