Friday, September 21, 2007

A Random Thought


Parenting is often said to be "the most important job in the world" - bringing people into the world and raising them in a way that they become positive contributors to society. At first this seems to make sense - the world will become a better place for all these well-raised, positive contributors. But if each successive generation's primary focus in life - their energy, their time, their money, their effort - is dedicated to bringing new people into the world who will be raised in a way to contribute positively to it (and on and on and on like mirrors into infinity), who is doing the actual contributing?

I'll tell you who. The people who choose to do something with their lives other than have children.

2 comments:

melissa said...

I never thought about it, but this is so true!!

Kacie said...

YES! I have been thinking this forever and was just trying to explain the concept to my mom this weekend. I didn't do as good a job though, so I'm emailing this to her!