Thursday, May 1, 2008

Beautiful Post-Baby Bods

One of the many ways pronatalism asserts itself in our day-to-day lives is through the media's relentless obsession with celebrity pregnancy and childbearing. When a celebrity is pregnant, the paparazzi feverishly chase her all over creation to capture the money shots - those lucrative "baby bump" photos. After giving birth, the obsession shifts to the baby itself. What magazine will get the first shot? Who will get the exclusive? Just how gorgeous IS that baby?

After everyone's seen the baby, we hold our collective breath as we wait on pins and needles to find out the God-awful name the baby was given (let's see, will it be worse than Apple, Moxie Crime Fighter, Kyd, Sage Moonblood, Pilot Inspektor?). Then, as the happy couple settles into parenthood bliss there is only one final place to turn the camera - to the celebrity's post-pregnancy bod.

And what beautiful bods those post-pregnant celebrities have! Just look at Halle Berry! I didn't have a bod like this when I was in my 20s and Halle is rockin' it big time after giving birth at age 42!
What message do you think it sends to everyday women when the post-pregnancy bods of freak-of-nature beautiful celebs are celebrated all over the media? Do you think it's possible that it may give women the idea that not only is motherhood the greatest thing in life but look - you don't even have to sacrifice your BOD! Halle looks as good as ever and only 6 weeks after popping the baby out! If she can do it, so can you! Having a baby doesn't mean giving up your great bod! Go ahead - HAVE ONE! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! You'll get SO MUCH and give up so little. Just look at Halle. She's more fab than ever and she's even wearing high heels! And I could be mistaken, but she even has better cleavage now!

3 comments:

Stepher said...

Hi!

I found you via I'm Not Kidding and I have to say what an absolute delight it is to read your blog! As a fellow CFer I'm always on the lookout for new CF blogs b/c they are so far and few between.

I couldn't agree more w/you on the whole "baby body" world of celebrity breeding. I cannot read about someone's baby bump or their after baby-bump body w/o wanting to slit my throat.

It's nice to meet you. I'm Stepher.

Childfreeeee said...

Thank you, Stepher and it's very nice to meet you too. Glad you are enjoying my rantings. ;)

pamelli said...

Hi there!

I'm always checking your blog and I enjoy your posts very much as I've been childfree for as long as I can remember.
About Halle Berry: to be completely honest, I think if I DIDN'T know her before she got pregnant, I'd say she looks extremely attractive now. However, I think she did , YES, lose some of her previous figure . She doesn't look as gorgeous and physically fit as she did before.
So, at least where I'm concerned, I'm not at all convinced that 'pregnancy doesn't harm your body in any way...and you can 'recover' your old looks just as before...No way!! EVEN Halle Berry doesn't look as great as she did before she got pregnant! lol
Now, just a little question...
What's going on with all the other childfree sites? Why are so many of them closing down and so many childfree bloggers getting so pessimistic and deciding to give up our 'quest' ?? :-)
Bye!

Pamelli